Journey Back to Quarantine

A gorgeous day in France today – a real Indian Summer day. Blue, blue sky and temperatures around 27C. We packed up our last things, loaded the freezer box and set off about 1030. Everything fitted in the car very well. Sad to leave our pretty little house. It’s been a really ideal place to stay.

This time we took the non-toll road route back to Calais, keeping to the country roads which on a day like today, was very nice. We’d planned a lunch stop at a place we’d found online near Beauvais which was about 1.45 hours after leaving. The reviews were really good, including ones from French people, which I always look for.

The village was of course extremely picturesque, a small stream, apple orchards, pretty little houses. We parked by the stream and walked about 100m to the restaurant. They had an indoor room but everyone was choosing their courtyard terrace. It was really warm and lovely. There was a la carte but the menu offering was very good. 25 euro for 2 courses or 29 for 3. Portions were large. We were served some delicious little appetisers while we chose from the specials and the menu. We were going for starter and main.

I started with a warm salad of chicken livers, duck gizzards, smoked ham and mushrooms. It was absolutely divine. Gizzards can be a bit chewy but these were melt in the mouth and the seasoning which was a strawberry balsamic glaze was delicious. Bob chose the house terrine and it was nice but served in a very bizarre way, especially given the current situation with covid. They brought him a massive whole terrine with a knife and he was to help himself to as much of the terrine as he wanted. Weird. The bread basket was good – 3 types of bread, including a sort of French stick made with corn.

For mains, I chose skate wing in a beure blanc with charred lemon, carrot puree, capers. Bob had magret of duck with a tomato coulis and vegetables. Both dishes were absolutely superb. Exceptionally good. Service was friendly and helpful and we really enjoyed it. Made a note of the place and would definitely lunch here again on the way back to Calais. The desserts looked amazing but we were full up.

Our onward journey to Calais was smooth and we arrived at the ferry port around 430. Our ferry was at 550 and was on time. We drove straight through French Immigration. Not sure anyone was actually there. The window was shut anyway. At the UK Border, our passports were inspected, we were asked about our quarantine forms but she didn’t want to see them and another officer searched our boot. Every car had to open the boot for a cursory look. I can only imagine for stowaways????

We sat on the outside deck of the ferry for quite a long way, it was such a lovely day and very calm. Sea like a millpond. We went inside about half way across and had a coffee and then I went out to see the White Cliffs as we came into Dover. At Dover we drove straight off the ship and were not stopped at all. Some vans were being stopped.

Got home at about 7pm and all was well. It’s always nice to come home, no matter where we’ve been. We now have 2 weeks quarantine in the house and garden. There’s plenty to do so no problem. We have quite a lot of food and drink with us and Tescos are coming in the morning with even more!!!

One comment