We’ve enjoyed our first 2 days in Breckenridge.  We have been joined by our friends, Ricky and Carol.  Ricky and I have known each other since 1971!!

Yesterday Bob and I had a quiet morning – feeling the effects of the 11000+ altitude to be honest: dizzy, bit breathy… bad sleep.  So, we took it quiet.  Ricky and Carol arrived about lunchtime and we spent some time catching up and chatting and then we decided to go and have a walk around Breckenridge historical downtown.  The hotel runs a free shuttle bus to and from the town, so we took that down.

Breckenridge is a pretty town.  A large historic downtown which is colourful and full of restaurants, bars and unique shops.  It must look even more stunning with some snow on the ground.  The town itself sits in valley surrounded by huge peaks.  There are lots and lots of ski runs visible.

We ate dinner in.  Roast pork with roasties, Yorkshire pudding.  The pudding was not a great success, it didn’t rise very much.  We think that might have been down to altitude, the oven wasn’t getting hot enough at the normal temperature.  Anyway, we ate it and enjoyed our evening.

Today, we stayed in the apartment in the morning and watched the Chicago Bears match which was from London.  Quite an exciting match.

When that was over we drove out over the Boreas Pass to the east of Breckenridge.  It is a dirt track most of the way – perhaps 10 miles long, narrow and with deep drops to the side.  The aspens were very nice, particularly on the western side of the mountains.  We crossed the Continental Divide again and took some photos up there.  Some old railway buildings and equipment left behind. The railway used to run as far as Leadville, a very high and hazardous track.  A beautiful if bumpy drive.

We came down again at Como, turned south to Fairplay and headed north back to Breckenridge.  We stopped on the way in the mountains to the north west of Fairplay to visit Ricky’s cousin.  Fabulous house.  We had a good tour.  On we went on Rte. 9, through the Hoosier Pass and back to Breckenridge.  We went straight to dinner at the Seafood Grille.  Had delicious clam chowder and then I had a soft shell crab blt and Bob had shrimps in a spicy broth.

We were all really tired by the time we got back to the Grand Timber Lodge and turned in.  The altitude does take a toll.  Bob and I feel better today, but it does make you puff.